Thursday, May 05, 2005

day one

Today was my first day at IBM.

I arrived at the main lobby precisely at 8:30am to find about 100 fellow interns waiting around. A good portion of the day was like frosh week. We walked around in large groups, no one seemed to know what was going on and there were those random keeners who asked lots of questions. The main focus seemed to be a bunch of boring presentations on all types of security, privacy and protocol. One of the highlights of these boring presentations being when mr. throwslibrarybooksaway yelled "shut up" into his cellphone with everyone else thinking he was referring to the speaker. One of the more odd moments of the day was when I first arrived and introduced myself to a random intern. He seemed nice enough and had actually worked at IBM for the two previous summers. However, things between us took a turn for the worse when he drew up a math problem during the presentations and passed it over to me. I'm sure he had good intentions but I honestly did not feel like following through with the problem as I was sort of paying attention to the presentation and I knew I didn't really stand a chance. So, he explained the answer to me and I a nodded in agreement with everything he said. I have posted the question below and will attempt to write out a solution for tommorow.



It also turned out that less than a third of the students at the lab are from ut. There were of course a lot of waterloosers and others from across canada. I did finally get to meet the other intern in my department who seems nice enough. She's a management/engineering student from mcmaster. So it seems that ibm posts their jobs everywhere and interviews tons of people. Lastly, I learned that I will be getting a new laptop which I can look forward to tommorow. Till then will be two hours of fresh new OC.

Try the problem! and let me know if you don't understand.

Mohit

2 Comments:

At 5:07 AM, Blogger Mohit said...

yah, so if we label the corners 1,2,3,4 and have different cases of m and n, what such cases will reflect the light into each corner separately. The light does not split or anything.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Addy said...

Ok Moe, I hope this isn't what you engineers do in your spare time, answer math questions. It's bizarre as hell to a business student like me...although there's this oddity at Schulich that enjoys making mazes (yeah, you read that right).

Watch more TV. That's the solution to all life's problems :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home