Sunday, September 25, 2005

life without school..

I feel I must post as the most lazy blogger in the history of the internet (PO), commented on my lack of posting...

Things are different. After considering and finally going through the whole PEY fiasco, I wondered what it would feel like for September to role around and there to be... NO SCHOOL. I can't honestly say if it's better or worse.

I recall school as being somwewhat good. I know that's a shitty description but it's all a big blur. There were obviously the good moments and the bad. The good being the people, the learning and the atmosphere. The whole idea of comitting yourself and fully immersing yourself in something is cool. You don't need to worry about anything, you live, sleep, dream and work towards learning. The bad, the late nights, the tons of work, the bad parts about dedicating your life to something ie. becoming an introvert and putting friends and family on the backburner. hmmmmm....

I know it might not be a fair comparison but I'm under the impression that I can extrapolate these feelings towards reseach and business. For those reading.. is this a fair comparison? Research like school and PEY like business. hmmm...

I was under the impression that I'd go for research but I'm not so sure anymore. If I were to fully commit to looking for a job in 4th year and end up with something goood, I'm thinking I might take it.

screw it.. I still have a year to figure things out, too bad for you 4th years who need to make the decision now.

this post was crap.. but I dunno, I got the idea of "thinking about the future" crap in my head and there I went.

I'll try for more cheery posts in the future.

6 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Blogger Mohit said...

thanks eral.. I would've liked to been there too..

are these random posts automated or something, or are these actually ppl?

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger starfire said...

what is with those annonymous postings?

dude, i have to agree with you in that pey is like business and school is like research. i took pey cuz i wanted to see how it felt to work as an engineer. i gotta say... i'm not too thrilled. at least in my line of work. so far, it has made me feel that my path is research - nothing at work excites me as much as just thinking about all the possibilities of nano.

work just makes me feel old. i can see how people treat it as just a means to an end (i.e. supporting family). Just going through the motions. But I feel like i could contribute way more to society in a different setting.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Jesterhat said...

Research is different from school, in most senses - but maybe I'm just wrong?

To me it feels different. Maybe it's because the learning approach differs.
If I had to choose, I'd pick research. But then again, maybe it's just because I like the 2 hour lunches.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Mohit said...

you think two hour lunches are reserved only for research?!?.. not true.. at least where I work (don't tell my manager)

Adrienne, not all places are like XXX. But then again, I don't work with engineers so I don't know. My solution to this problem is either business or research, nothing inbetween (that's where the bad stuff is).

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope you don't mind another anonymous poster...

engineering work is very much like research... you have a project, you work on that for like a year until you're completely sick of it- either it doesn't pan out or it gets finished; and in both cases, you continue on to the next project.

the only difference is that in research, you have slightly more flexibility to explore tangentially-related things - not too much because either you're a grad student in the middle of his/her thesis, or a researcher leading along his grad student, and if you were to make an about-turn, that would seriously mess things up.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger starfire said...

That's probably true Moe, about business vs. research. Cuz I'm in something else... feels like tech support although i deal with chemicals and materials. Some of it is interesting, i.e. getting to see how things are manufactured, and choosing some tools for that purpose, but it's like watching that show How It's Made - it's cool... but really... not THAT cool. Anyways I guess it's a good experience cuz I've found out what I really like, and I can see how certain industries are like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home