Saturday, November 26, 2005

Stumble upon..

for those who are unaware, stumble upon is a great way to waste time. All you do is click a button and you are thrown to a new and interesting site. Bored, click again. It never ends. I equate it to channel surfing with an unlimited number of channels. I highly recommend the tool. It came to me from beyondschatworth who got it from forr, so I could be preaching to the choir here, but if you're not using it... do it now!!..

a few sites that I have stumbled upon that are of great interest allow you to look at files people have put up but don't necessarily know are publicly available. You can imagine the possibilities. Movies, music, pictures etc.

http://www.filesearching.com/ <-- let's you search ftps, althought most seem to be unaccessible, a cool idea

http://www.googletutor.com/2005/04/15/voyeur-heaven/ <-- teaches you how to use google to find publicly available directories.

This is borderline hacking. My experience with web servers is quite limited but the main idea is that you need an index.html in your directory otherwise people will be able to see the raw files. The raw files are still there with an index.html, but the public has no idea what is there, if anything. This site exploits this fact by searching for the terms seen when you look at the publicly available directories, so terms such as "size", "description", "path"..etc..

If you find yourself looking for something and is not easily found through traditional channels (Kazaa, BT), perhaps these sites can be your answer.

Just thought I'd share...

1 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger Jesterhat said...

I can't believe you didn't mention that the "remove index.html" way to "hack" a website is copyrighted - by me!

I found quite a few past exams doing that ^^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home